The COGIT laboratory studies difficulties arising from the use of vector topographic data such as data integration, modification of the level of detail, cartography or modelling data to enable analyses in specific applications such as urban development, biodiversity etc.
What we do
Research at COGIT concentrates on promoting ready-for-use vector geographic data bases such as that produced by IGN, and on questions relating to modelling, managing and using reference data. In short, research can be divided into three categories of use:
- Data promotion for in-house IGN use - optimising map making from data bases by further automating cartographic generalization and by proposing new cartographic legends; perfecting the process of data capture and cooperative data integration either for data base updates or to provide additional information to existing themes in IGN data bases; looking for information on the web to improve and monitor updates as well as considering new products;
- Data promotion for external or public use - making it easier to view, data enrichment and spread on the Web. In particular, making it easier to add user data onto the IGN reference frame; producing and spreading cartographic products on demand (design for all) and in particular helping to design legends, studying representation on restrained display devices or in difficult conditions; proposing suitable representations for profile-types; improving 3D graphic representations;
- Data promotion for external, professional use - describing the impact of data quality on standard calculation; comparing data sets, assisting users to insert thematic data and sustaining data interoperability especially between local, national and international data bases; helping design of spatio-temporal vector data bases to study changes in an area; designing spatio-temporal analysis on topographic data which contributes to studying challenging phenomena especially those related to sustainable development such as, urban development - role of ecological corridors, biodiversity, flora/fauna displacement and spread etc.
Work at the COGIT laboratory is organised along 3 research themes:
- Analysis of geographical space and its dynamics - This research theme concerns proposing space-time models enabling a) data exploration b) analysis of regional dynamics c) a detailed analysis of an area in the analysis of phenomena and their dynamics.
- Geographical data infrastructure - This research theme has the objective of studying the process of inserting and updating data, possibly in a collaborative context.
- Cartography, graphic semiology, generalisation, legend conception - This research topic aims at improving map conception processes, on the one hand by automating cartographic generalisation processes, on the other hand by proposing methodologies to help various users to make customized maps.
Besides, COGIT is involved in several collaborative research projects.
Researchers of COGIT
COGIT is now managed by by Sébastien Mustière
There are 25 researchers in all and are permanent staff.
Publications at COGIT
You can access the list of publications at COGIT on:
Training offers, PhDs and post doctoral positions at COGIT COGIT
COGIT regularly proposes new PhD and post-doctoral positions to non IGN staff and training courses for students with a various educational background.